By ◆ Juppie on Thursday, July 28, 2011 @ 11:03 AM

Just today I was given a fright because the guy my parents are hiring to remodel our bathroom came to my house. My parents had been out shopping, at Home Depot I think, but they came home after the remodeling guy did. (I don't know his name yet, actually, haha. You'll see why soon.) Well, he came into the house, so I ran off to my bedroom, since I hadn't even brushed my hair yet, and now here was a total stranger invading my turf.

I heard footsteps in the hallway and the guy's voice calling, "Xiao pengyou? Xiao pengyou?" Literally translated, that means "little friend", and I guess it's something adults use when they're talking to children. It's one of my biggest pet peeves and one of the various other reasons I dislike the Chinese language. Okay, I know that you don't know my name, but please don't call me that. Just say, "Hey, you", that would do the trick. But don't call me little friend. Yes, I am short, but I'm certainly not your friend. (Well, maybe whoever's reading this is my friend, but you know what I mean, right? Regardless, I still find "xiao pengyou" to be a very irritating expression.)

So I was forced to walk out, and he asked me, in Chinese (Mandarin, not the Shanghai dialect), how to open the back door, since he and his fellow remodeling man needed to move stuff back and forth or something. I unlocked the door and then escaped before I could feel any more creeped out. I'd been against the idea of remodeling from the beginning, but I didn't count on having two complete strangers in my house for the next couple weeks. I tried to stay out of their way, but even when I was sitting in the living room with headphones on, I could still here the horrible sounds of my poor bathroom being smashed to smithereens.

The morning is probably the worst time of day. The remodeling workers come at about 8 am in the morning. I'm usually already awake before then; usually I'd just try to go back to sleep, but since I haven't got soundproof walls or a decent pair of earplugs (believe me, I've tried; I used my noise-canceling headphones but it was too uncomfortable to sleep), I had to wave bye-bye to get enough sleep. Sure, I could go to bed earlier, but I always forget or get distracted by something or other...I should really just set my clocks further ahead (some of my clocks are already about ten minutes ahead of the "actual" time).

The other really bad part about it is sharing the bathroom. Since one of the bathrooms is occupied, all three of us have to use the other one (at least it's good that I'm an only child). It's not pleasant when the bathroom stinks and you know who just used it. Of course, I am not free from guilt, either, in that regard at least...

I am sure this is going to be a horrible few weeks and I really hope it turns out to be worth all the grey hairs it's probably giving me. I don't mean to put all the remodeling folks out of business, but honestly, I think people should just buy a house that's already in good shape. Or a nice apartment. Just not all the chaos that goes along with remodeling.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

← Back to the blog?

Top ↑


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Copyright © 2010 Kaisoumizu - All rights reserved