By ◆ Juppie on Wednesday, November 17, 2010 @ 6:16 PM

It's a pretty famous musical, and I have a video tape of the film version; I watched when I was very young, but I don't remember what it was about. The only thing I do remember is two of the songs: My Favorite Things and Do-Re-Mi.

I've only got the basic tunes in my head, I don't know the lyrics by heart. But it's easy to find them on the Internet. If you weren't sure which songs I'm referring to, maybe seeing the lyrics would help...

My Favorite Things
Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things

Cream colored ponies and crisp apple streudels
Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings
These are a few of my favorite things

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs
These are a few of my favorite things

When the dog bites
When the bee stings
When I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don't feel so bad


Do-Re-Mi (this is just part of the song)
Doe, a deer, a female deer
Ray, a drop of golden sun
Me, a name I call myself
Far, a long, long way to run
Sew, a needle pulling thread
La, a note to follow Sew
Tea, a drink with jam and bread


But anyways, I don't intend to be talking about the musical for this entire post. I've been wondering lately about how exactly a person would judge a song. Is it the lyrics or the sound that determines how "good" it is?

In one of my classes, Writing for Publication (it's basically a class preparing you for journalism), we listened to some songs by the singer Adele, because we were practicing writing reviews. The first song we listened to was Crazy For You. Both the song and lyrics are pretty clichéd. I don't mean to single out Adele, since there are many songs and many singers who don't have creative lyrics, but it still irks me if the lyrics are unoriginal.

I suppose that could be part of the reason why I listen to mostly Japanese music. If I don't understand what they're saying, I'm not able to insult the lyrics, so I'll only concentrate on the sound. That doesn't really work anymore, though, since I do understand some words here and there, and eventually I might be able to understand what they're saying...

Maybe sometimes it's best that I don't know. I recently listened to Spice!, which is a song for Len Kagamine (a Vocaloid; don't want to make this post too long, so look it up if you want to know what Vocaloids are). I thought it was a pretty good song, and today I was searching it up on Youtube. I clicked on a video and it said that it was flagged as being inappropriate for some users. It really surprised me. I hadn't noticed anything inappropriate about it.

I did a bit of poking around, looked at the English translation of the lyrics, and saw some other videos of the song, and was pretty creeped out. I don't think I'll ever see Len the same way again (he's promiscuous! Ugh!). And talk about a weird coincidence, because in French class, we just listened to a song about a guy who was cheating on his wife. I had quite enough of songs about polygamy.

Sorry for going on so long, but I just want to mention that there is one thing about Len Kagamine that I'm looking forward to, and that is the Append. I've heard that Len is getting an append (it's like an update/addition to the voice...I'm not good at describing it), called Append Cold. Click here for a sample. (Amazing had 8,000 views already after only one day...) Even though I don't have any Vocaloid software, I do want to hear more of Len's Append.

Anyways, here's a fanart of Len's song, Spice!. (It's not drawn by me. XD)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

← Back to the blog?

Top ↑


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Copyright © 2010 Kaisoumizu - All rights reserved